June 9, 2010

Standby Vs Hibernate



My Dear Readers,

Yesterday one of my neighbors asked me the difference between Standby and Hibernate. Meantime my neighbor also asked me when I have to use Standby and Hibernate.

Here I would like to share my answers to you.


The difference between Standby and Hibernate:

If we choose standby options, the computer stores the current states of our computer to the RAM. On other hand if we select Hibernate options, the computer stores the current states of our computer to the Hard Disk Drive.

In Standby mode, the computer keeps our applications running and documents open. But in Hibernate mode the computer recalls all our applications and open documents.





In Standby state the computer uses small amount of electricity. On other hand in Hibernate mode the computer does not use electricity.

The computer will quickly wake up from Standby mode. But in Hibernate mode the computer will take longer time to wake up.

Standby is fast but also uses power. Hibernate is slow but does not use power.



When we have to use Standby and Hibernate:

If I go away from computer for 15-30 minutes, at that time I prefer Standby mode. If I go away from computer for several hours I prefer Hibernate mode. Meanwhile if I go away from computer for many hours I prefer Shutdown mode.





Use Standby, Hibernate and Shutdown effectively.

Save electricity.


Interested To Inform
Kannan